Scratching My Itch

Wow! What a great week on the farm. I have, like most of you, had an itch all winter. You know what I am talking about.  Yesterday, I was able to finally Scratch My Itch! Here's how I did it.
On Monday, I scratched my itch by being in the kitchen and baking. I am old fashioned and I love old things. Iron skillets, wooden spoons, crocks, linens, baskets, quilts, canning,......... and so on.

Avah and I baked her  a small birthday cake using two small cast iron skillets and 1/2 box of cake mix.  Just using those tiny skillets  helped me connect to my roots. I grew up cooking eggs in a small cast iron skillet, in fact, I "fried" many an egg in that thing. Burned some crispy too, as I learned to adjust the temperature much lower.  They heat up quick and hot I soon learned.     I prefer my egg yolk runny so that I can dip my toast in it just like I watched my Dad do back in the day.  But I must admit, many an egg fried during my youth  was accidentally cooked  over well and crunchy. But I learned by doing.

Another itch was scratched when finally, the hens in the hen house, have slowly but surely,  been recognizing that spring is almost here. Remember, in the dark, cold, snowy, long, long winter, I was only gathering two or three eggs per day  out of nine hens and sometimes with sub zero temps only  one egg by the little white hen I told you about a few weeks ago. She's a keeper.

  Yesterday, spring arrived for the girls! I gathered nine eggs  out of nine hens.  Yippee. It must have been them digging and dirt bathing in the freshly tilled soil of the garden plot these last few days.  We allowed them to run the garden plot  all winter.   Then it occurred to me, with my pretty little basket of eggs,  that this  is almost a dozen of eggs  a day. Oh my.  What will I do with that many eggs. You can bet I am looking for recipes requiring many eggs. I did resurrect  a Rice Pudding recipe that my Mom made in the old farm house of my youth when my husband and I were dating. He absolutely loved it as well as the Bread pudding she made then too. Oh did I say that scratched an itch? It did. It made me feel blessed to have that wonderful memory and come to think about it, it used three eggs.

Another itch was scratched when I hooked up the rototiller to the rear end of my Kubota tractor, the one I absolutely adore and in which was worth being patient for. I always wanted one of those tractor rototillers and finally I have one.  Though  it was a bit wet, I tilled shallow, then  "hit it again" two more times allowing it to dry in between.

Another itch was scratched when last night,  we planted two short rows of Red Pontiac potatoes and one short row of white onions. I could smell hash browns with onions,  and see boiled red potatoes with parsley elegantly  on a plate with a slab of ham.........! The hens will be sad  that we have something planted in the garden plot  and they  will have to stay in their run until late fall. But they will be happy when we pitch over greens to them!

I scratched another itch when I hung a load of laundry, towels blowing  in the warming winds of spring. They smell so fresh. Back in the day I used to hang everything out. But these days I usually just do towels, blankets and large things, jeans.  Unless I want to visit my youth, then I might do a full load. Then I usually realize why now I only do selective things!

I scratched another itch when I ordered my blueberry plants. Last year the raspberries did so well , as did the blackberries planted the year before,  that it only seems natural to plant blueberries too.  I hope they are as successful. I ordered them from DiMeo Blueberry Farms, the blueberry capital of the world, in New Jersey. (They are organic and  non GMO)  I am impatient as you know should you be following along on the farmhouse journal  with me, so I paid extra to get the three year old plants that will produce berries this year. I am soooooo anxious. They will ship mid April.

I scratched another itch when, I placed 42 eggs in my birthday incubator. I was going to do it earlier in the year but decided I didn't want to have the chicks in the basement that long. So I waited patiently. Proud of myself.  Eventually  they will be someones replacement hens, or happily in the  freezer as fryers. Soon, I will take the remaining corn from the horse barn and have laying mash and grower ground for chicken  feed.  A friend of ours kept track of the cost of a fryer and it came in at $23 each by buying chicks, purchasing store bought feed and paying a processor.   Oh my goodness. By raising our corn and free ranging the hens (now in an enclosed area because a coyote passes through from time to time) I don't buy feed at all. Just some grit. I have limestone added to the ground corn. Through the winter I did supplement with Kent #38 Poultry Base  meal which is high in protein and can be added to my ground corn.   So,  by doing so, I keep the cost to a minimum. I do the same for the meat rabbits. We bale our own hay, so I feed them hay, corn and provide a mineral salt block. All this equals minimum cost. And did I say that is what I like.


I scratched another itch when I worked all the raised beds and replaced the broken glass cover with clear plastic. Now I will sow my seeds for garden plants saving me much money too. I found my Mortgage Lifter seeds through Burpee at Southern States Farm Supply in Maysville, Ky.   They are a  must have on this farm as I told you about before.   And my window sill garden is darn near ready to pick a salad from. I have broccoli and cabbage plants there too that are three inches tall. I will set them out soon as they love cool weather. Today, I will be tilling another garden plot. My daughter wants to garden! Can you believe it. She hated it when she was young. It is a delight to share with her what "Momma knows!"

So here's the thing: An itch can be anticipation. Things anticipated can be nearly as good as scratching the itch. On the farm, There is a time to reap and a time to sow.  It is best to go with the flow. I tried best not to struggle through the winter. For spring will surely come and come it did, two days early! Green Acres, as the song goes,  is the place to be. Farm living is the place for me....... Just give me that countryside. And sometimes on the farm, just like in the show, you just have to have a sense of humor.

PS-A tomato plant can grow in a bag of potting soil! Get back to "your roots". What are your roots?


Comments

  1. Love this!!! You scratched many itches!! :) I need some motivation coming my way, haha! We're slowly working on things. Whoa, 42 eggs, you're going to have your hands full! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AH! Mary, you are busy with a "wee little one" in the oven so it is understandable. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you like. Please take a moment to send me a message.

Popular Posts