My Way Modified Blackberry Dumplings

Sometimes in life, we settle for something that isn't what we really want. And then sometimes we determine what we want and we go for it. So today is one of those days for me.  

I recently shared  a Blackberry Dumpling recipe found on Facebook that used a slow cooker to make. I am, most as a rule, a very impatient person."Patience, honey, you need to learn patience," my husband has told me more than once, hundreds of times, probably more like thousands of times  during our marriage.   Sometimes I am patient, sometimes,  but not this morning. I went to the berry patch and picked another cup full of blackberries, a morning ritual for me,  before the birds wake up and eat  them.  


 Everyday, I wash them, then roll them in sugar, then put them on a tray and freeze them, then bag them.  Having  enough berries to make Blackberry Dumplings.  I was in the kitchen preparing to do so  until I decided that the recipe I shared  didn't suit me.  It was going to take too long to make and  I wanted it  NOW. Not hours from now.  So,  I varied the recipe to suit me and predetermined my prerequisite as follows:  
  1.  Quick and  EASY (Stove Top Method)  
  2. Doughy dumplings ( using biscuits, no mess) 
  3. Lots of thick, sweet syrupy juice (more water and thickening, smash the berries too) 


 So here's my  modified Cherry Ridge Farmhouse Kitchen version of the Blackberry Dumpling recipe. 


3 Cups Blackberries
1 Cup Water
1 Cup Sugar
1Tbsp. Cornstarch

Place in large 10 inch skillet, smash the blackberries moderately and bring to a rolling boil.



Now here's the easy part! (Remember I like easy) use canned biscuits.
5 large biscuits from a can cut into quarters
 (I used Golden Layer Grands Buttermilk just because I had them in the frig but any canned biscuit will do)
Place quartered biscuits on top of the boiling mixture, cover  for 3 minutes then turn dumplings over.
Once turned, boil another 3 minutes covered. Test that the biscuits are done.
Doughy but not sticky. Gosh, I love the little dough balls! 



Should  the syrup not be  sweet enough, sprinkle with sugar. Nothing worse than a tart blackberry dumpling.
Serve with whipped topping or pour real cream over hot mixture or  do like us kids back in the day,  when Dad had Half and Half in the fridge for his coffee, we used it.  Scrumptious. OMG. It tastes awesome even with out the cream, but you know I am going to uses some.  You will too. Quick and Easy? You bet ya. This took less than 15 minutes to prepare.
If tart, sprinkle with sugar and by all means, top with some sort of cream!!!
Don't you love the anitque Ironstone China. Makes a great picture!

So Here's the Thing: Don't be afraid to experiment and improvise. This recipe suits me better now  that I modified it. But first  I pre-determined what  I wanted and that's what I got.  Just what I wanted. Now go for it. You have nothing to fear, but fear itself. And this method  works in life situations too,  not just in farmhouse kitchen recipes.

Take Joy!
Sherry



Comments

  1. Amazing recipe!!! My mom and I have never made blackberry dumplings. We found this recipe this morning and decided to give it a try. Of course we had to taste test before we could serve to the family. AMAZINGLY GOOD is the only words we can come up with :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you just made my day. I have been out of town and received your lovely message upon my return. Thanks for taking the time to write me that it is AMAZINGLY GOOD. Did you raise your own berries?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this wonderful recipe. Made it tonight with frozen blackberries from our own vines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, this is so good to hear, you're trying my Farmhouse Recipes. Good job on growing your own berries, too. Thank you for sharing! Sherry

      Delete
  5. This is amazing and so fast and deliscious ..keeping this recipe as I am person likes to cook but like fast and easy and tasting good and not have to do hour of time cooking when you want it right now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patirica! Thank you for the lovely note. This is an old recipe from the farmhouse of my youth! Glad you are enjoying it too! Sherry

      Delete

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you like. Please take a moment to send me a message.

Popular Posts