Cherry Ridge Farmhouse Muffins!


Farmhouse Muffins!
Hot muffins to warm the inner man-the recipe read. This will be a regular recipe at my house from now on if this is true.  Intrigued by that and the fact that   I just needed something to make using  the blueberries I had on hand and something sweet for an afternoon snack. This recipe  fit the requirement.

   I found this in the Betty Crocker Cookbook my mom gifted me for my hope chest in 1975.  The nice thing about muffins is you don’t need a mixer the recipe said. Just put all the liquid ingredients in and mix. Next put all the dry ingredients in and stir.

What I really like is the fact that there aren't any preservatives in the mix. I am really starting to pay attention to what is or isn't in our food.   The recipe, honestly, took only five minutes to prepare and 20 minutes bake time.
 While warm,  tear each muffin apart and spread a pat  of real butter on each.  I believe in the real thing, real butter from the cow.  No imitations. Dr. Oz agrees with butter usage too. I have used only butter for fifteen or more years.   

You can make these muffins with all kinds of variations like Apple, Buttermilk, Cranberry-Orange, and Whole Wheat.  I used Organic Blueberries. I know organic foods cost a bit more.  But be a wise shopper. The organic blueberries were only fifty-cents more per container.  I think this spring I will set out some blueberry  bushes.  Last spring we set out two pear trees and two plum trees. In a couple years we should have some fruits. 

So,  get to the kitchen right now and bake a batch. Don’t have any fruit? Well it also has Surprise Muffins and you just dollop, a teaspoon full of any kind of jelly between two layers of batter. Wow, I have apricot jelly and also some strawberry and the good old stand by-grape. I could make lot's of surprise muffins.   Muffins, Oh so good! Truly baking from scratch does something for my soul and it did warm our insides. As I bake some of the other variations, I will share those with you too.  I have a great Tasha Tudor cookbook I am thumbing through too. Looking for soup to go with my next batch of muffins.  Enjoy!  

Sweet Farmhouse Muffins


1 egg
½ cup milk
¼ cup salad oil
1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt


Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease bottom of 8 medium muffin cups.
Beat egg; stir in milk and oil. Mix in remaining ingredients just until flour is moistened. Fold in1cup blueberries.  Fill cups 2/3 full. (I put three blueberries on each top pushing them down into the dough instead of mixing them in as I had fresh extra large berries)
Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 8 large or 12 smaller muffins. 

Comments

Popular Posts