Buying Organic Seeds

Have seeds! Will plant them. 
A few days back, single digit temperatures, nine-degrees to be exact fell upon Brown County, Ohio.  I was shopping at Wal-Mart for paint for the bathroom when unexpectedly  I saw gardening stuff. My cart, as if it had a mind of its own,  made an abrupt left. I was in gardener's paradise. 
I couldn’t believe that  Wal-Mart had their seed packets out in January.  Ecstatically  I was ready to purchase some, then  I remembered

I had an order already written out and ready to send to Heirloom Seeds an  organic seed supplier.  Reluctantly, I put the seed packets back in their rack, determined to do organic whenever possible.
Now you may not think buying organic is that big a deal but let me tell you it really is. The non-organic seeds have absorbed so much of the herbicide/pesticide chemicals that they are resistant when sprayed with weed killer.   Do a study on organic and you will be surprised? 

My first lesson, that really sank in for me as to why organic is best,  was when I was  doing some spot -spraying with Round Up on our pumpkin patch weeds.  As I read the label, I was freaking out at the warnings.   Throw your clothes away if you spill it on them;  Don’t wash with other clothes; Don’t breathe the spray and on and on.   Oh my gosh, I thought,  Is this crap going to kill me or the weeds first? Why am I messing with this?  I viewed it as a threat from then on. 

That was the beginning of the Organic Movement here at Cherry Ridge Farms.  I’m not totally green by any means, but I am when I can. I read the labels now.  I feel like the choice is ours as to what or how much we put into our bodies. Would you want to drink a ½ cup  of chemicals & hormones etc. or would you like the whole cup?  Of course we would like not to have any, but less is best. In other words, buying organic makes sense.  Little by little, try to be organic and healthy. Life matters doesn't it? We don't get another life.  

We buy freezer beef and have done so for quite a few years returning to our roots on the farms we grew up on.  Here’s my latest info  on that one. The beef or dairy  may not be feed hormones or antibiotics as listed on  the advertising label,   but the corn fed to our  livestock  may very well be the corn that has been modified to resist the chemical sprays our  large scale farmers use these days.   Now,  I see why grass fed can be better, unless,  your organic farmer can prove the corn fed to the beef  has been raised organically.   Bottom line, homegrown on your farm or from a local, reputable farmer is best. Then you know exactly what goes into your belly.

Needless to say, I put the seed packets back on the rack and headed out of the isle determined to stick-to-my-guns and buy organic seeds.   Much to my surprise on the end of the header rack, I saw, as I made my turn,  Burpee Organic Seeds.  God is good, I thought.   I had no idea they had an organic line but they too see the movement toward going by to the basics, going  organic. 

“Can you believe it,” I told the other seed- shopping -maniac in the store isle  with me. “It’s nine degrees outside and we are buying seeds like it is May.” 
“Positive thinking,” she smiled in heavenly bliss,  as she added another seed packet to her fistful already.
I smiled too. We were in gardener's  paradise.  

I have always loved seed packets. In fact, just the other day I remembered as a kid of nine, maybe ten, I mailed in for a Seed Selling Kit listed in the  newspaper edition  of Grit. I loved it then, I love it now.     The plain seed packets  were ten-cents each and came in a very nice display box.  I loved holding the seed packets, but not as fond of door- to- door sales.   Thanks to my mom and grandmother and aunt who  always bought me out. My sales  venture didn't last long,  but the  memory did and a dear one at that. So let your kids try new things. I'm not in sales but I am still in the seed business, so to speak. 
Planting a hanging basket, placed in front of a south facing window.
 Should have a harvest  about March 17th. or sooner. 

This morning, as you can see from the photo, I am going to plant a lettuce mixture. This recycled hanging pot from my  porch Petunias will serve another purpose. I put it in my writing den,  on top of the  wooden box in front of my upstairs, southern facing window.  It gets toasty warm when the sun is shining. In a week or so, I should have little green shoots coming up. That is always so exciting.    In about fifty days or sooner,  I should have something I can harvest. It is  recommended to  plant every two weeks for a continuous supply.  Mid February, I will sow my cold frame, which before the cold snap, I was still picking lettuce and spinach in January.  Unbelievable, I know,  a first for me to extend a harvest that long. Sadly, the weather has been too cold to get started on my birthday greenhouse I told you about in a previous post.  

Right now though,  I am in heaven  sowing seeds, looking to the future and recalling some fond memories from my childhood. I am anxious to eat a salad from the seeds sown this morning. 
Today, send your seed catalog order, read up on going green or being organic. Sow something  in the soil and enjoy some winter fun!

Sherry Mitchell-Farm Girl
To plant a garden is to believe in the future...........

Comments

  1. I love it Sherry!!! I was just looking through my seed catalogs to place my order soon. I've got 3 catalogs to order from that are all organic/heirloom seeds. I'm ordering from Baker's Creek (thanks to you showing them to me :)), Seeds of Change, and Seed Savers. I can't wait until they get here so we can start. I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you like. Please take a moment to send me a message.

Popular Posts